Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Healthy date snack bars


  photo foto2-28.jpg

I have gotten a lot of request for healthy snacks lately so I thought I would share this easy recipe with you. These little nutty date bars are perfect to bring as a healthy snack to school/uni/work or wherever really and a big plus is that they are not only healthy and nutritious, but also super tasty - almost brownie like! Another big plus is that you can easily substitute most of the ingredients (except the dates) with whatever you have available, I think these would also taste great with coconut filling or maybe dried berries? I will definitely have to experiment with different flavors next time, let me know if you have some good ideas for the filling :)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup dates, packed
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 cup mixed almonds and hazelnuts
2 tablespoons chia seeds

Directions:
  1. Place the dates in a food processor and pulse until you get a gooey paste. Empty the food processor into a mixing bowl.
  2. Place the nuts in the food processor and pulse until they’re chopped into little pieces, but be careful or it will turn into flour.
  3. Add the chopped nuts, the cacao powder and the chia seeds into the mixing bowl with the date paste. Knead the ingredients together until everything is well mixed and you have a cohesive dough.
  4. Line a pan, plastic container or whatever you have available with baking paper and add the dough - make sure you press it in real tight and leave it in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
  5. Now, all there is left to do is to slice the dough into your desired size (I got 6 bars from this) and they’re ready to eat, enjoy!
Inspired by Use Real Butter        

2 comments:

  1. I want to eat this! Looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made them and now they're waiting in the fridge. :)
    What do you think, how long can I store them there?

    ReplyDelete